So, one of the biggest things I have trouble with in my overall struggle to eat healthier is coming up with a decent plan for eating particularly healthy for lunch at work. It’s so easy, not to mention budget-friendly, to store cans of Campbell’s soup and packs of Lance crackers in my desk cabinet and just go through those for lunch. But I’ve found that that’s not too satisfying or nutritious and I find myself hungry again before 3:00 can roll around.
So, I’ve decided that this will be the year that I make an in-earnest effort toward taking better care of myself when it comes to what I put in my body, and I think coming up with creative and tasty recipes for lunch that doesn’t break my budget, monetarily or calorically, will be a great start.
So, that’s how I came up with my very own recipe for Chickpea Salad, which is quick, easy, has plenty of protein and fiber, and best of all, it’s budget-friendly and totally delicious. It’s great on its own for a vegetarian lunch (vegan if you skip the feta cheese) or as a side dish with a hearty bowl of soup or tasty sandwich.
What you’ll need:
- 4 cans garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained and rinsed.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 English cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1 pint halved grape tomatoes
- 4 sliced scallions
- 1 diced roasted and jarred red bell pepper
- 6 oz. block of feta cheese, diced into small cubes
- Lemon-garlic vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- Kosher Salt, black pepper and Aleppo pepper (preferably Penzey’s) to taste.
This one is simple: Just combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, whip up some lemon garlic vinaigrette (recipe below), add it to the bowl, stir until well-dressed, check for seasoning and add more if need you’d like, and serve! Or better yet, let it sit in the fridge for a few hours for the flavors to really meld together.
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon (or 2 small lemons)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (preferably Grey Poupon)
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely grated
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Again, simple: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk vigorously to emulsify. That’s all!
Hope you guys enjoy it!