There are two particular types of meals that I love to cook:
- 30 minute (or less) meals
- One-dish meals
Well, both of those attributes can describe my Curry Chicken and Basmati Pilaf.
While, admittedly, this is more of an “Americanized” version of curry, as opposed to an “authentic” offering from your favorite Indian restaurant, this recipe is sure to add some spice and flavor to your usual chicken and rice. It’s a very easy and quick-cooking meal, but the results are absolutely delicious. The combination of the spices and the basmati rice actually fragrances your kitchen quite well as it cooks too! And one of the key aspects of this dish’s deliciousness is the use of dark meat. Because this is a quick cooking-dish, you need quicker cooking pieces of meat. Also, the fact that you’re using dark meat instead of white ensures that the meat stays moist and flavorful.
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 2-3 pounds of dark-meat chicken (It can be drumsticks, whole thighs, boneless/skinless thighs, or a combination.)
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup raw whole cashews
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup raisins
WHAT TO DO:
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper
- In a deep, wide pan (or french oven) over medium-high heat, sear all the chicken, until golden brown on both sides. You need not cook chicken all the way. You’re just browning at this point. Reserve chicken for later.
- In the same pan, sauté the onion, cashews, rice, and spices together until the rice is toasted and the onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth to the pan, remembering to scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen up the brown bits that collected.
- Add raisins and browned chicken (along with any drippings on the plate) to the pan.
- Bring liquid to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Hope you enjoy this! And, as always, feel free to pass this recipe along to your friends!